Green Chili Fry
Green chilies – 100 grams
Besan (gram flour) – 1 teaspoon
o Lime juice – 1/2 tablespoon
o Salt – 3/4 teaspoon (adjust to taste)
o Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Nigella (Kalonji) seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
o Asafetida powder – a pinch
o Mustard oil – 1 tablespoon
How to make green chili fry:-
· Clean and wipe the green chilies absolutely dry.
· Make a vertical slit in each chili.
· Crush the mustard seeds coarsely.
· In a pan, heat a tablespoon of mustard oil to smoking point.
· To the hot oil, add asafetida powder, nigella (kalonji) seeds and coarsely crushed mustard seeds.
· Set the heat to low, and let the seeds splutter for a few seconds.
· Toss the green chilies in salt, and add them to the hot spiced oil. Move the chilies around so that they are coated evenly in the oil.
· Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes, tossing the chilies every other minute.
· Uncover the pan, scatter besan over the chilies. Stir and cook till the besan has soaked up the oil and browned.
· Add lime juice, stir again and turn off the heat. When the green chili fry cools to room temperature, transfer to a clean, dry, non-reactive container.
· Let green chili fry sit for at least a few hours before serving.
· Green chili fry stays good for 2-3 days at room temperature.